7 Reasons to Send Greeting Cards in a Digital Age

by Todd Smith on November 5, 2008

clown figurine photo greeting card

With email, text messaging, cell phones, blogs, twitter, facebook and a dozen new ways to communicate every day, why send an old fashioned greeting card? I love paper greeting cards, and here are seven reasons why I still send them:

1. It somehow means more to me when I get a paper card in the mail. Maybe it’s the fact that it’s something tangible that has traveled from afar. Or maybe it’s the fact that someone took the extra time to buy a card and stamp, write a message and send it. It makes me think they care.

2. With so many ways to communicate now, I find it hard to keep up with all the chatter. It’s sometimes hard to separate the wheat from the chaff, and I end up paying less attention to all the electronic messages I now get. But when I get a card, I stop and pay attention. Paper greeting cards somehow rise above the noise.

3. Greeting Cards are experienced without a computer. When I’m at my computer, I’m usually working, and often trying to quickly wrap things up so I can experience a few hours of computer-free time every day. Greeting cards come in the mail, when I’m away from my computer. They are a break in my day. That kind of communication is especially welcome.

4. I can hang a nice card on my wall or refrigerator. I can even frame a card that I love. Cards from my friends remind me of them for as long as I wish. They last longer in my awareness than any electronic message.

photo greeting card purple grapes

5. I can see the handwriting of my friends. A note from my mom or my dad brings me right to their world. How many times have I seen that handwriting? And I can smell the perfume on the paper. More senses are involved when we communicate through greeting cards.

6. Photo greeting cards uplift my mind before I even read a word. A beautiful card picked just for me has me ready to read anything that’s been written. If I want to make someone’s day, a simple note in a beautiful card is all it takes.

7. It’s never been easier to send photo greeting cards with Todd Smith Photography’s Card of the Month Club. In just a few seconds each month, you get as many cards as you need, delivered with stamps and return addresses. In the same time it takes to write an email, you can send a card that will really make a splash.

There are now 120 cards to choose from in my greeting card line. And another 66 snowy, winter cards appropriate for the holidays. Check out all the new cards here.

photo greeting card crows on a wall

elaine November 6, 2008 at 8:43 am

yes, you re right! i should send more greeting cards! but what can we do? digital age gives us bad habits 🙂

elaine´s last blog post..Sunny Spell.

Todd Smith November 6, 2008 at 2:05 pm

I love electronic communication too. It makes cards seem extra special. 🙂

TheGirlPie December 20, 2008 at 5:22 pm

Your reasons are so true, and I always advise that people choose a nice card or lovely stationary for a greeting or a thank you — they NEVER get thrown away. They make the person who receive it look respected and loved. They are an unexpected treat in a day that may be ordinary or sour. The can go into their ‘nice letter’ file to review when they’re feeling blue later. And, as I’ve just experienced by going through all of my late mom’s possessions, they can show a surviving loved one just how special their departed was to others. It’s so cool to see the cards that mom’s kept since the 30’s.
Next time you think you’ll just email and hit ‘send,’ reconsider and ‘stamp/send’ instead.
Lovely, thank you.

Todd Smith December 20, 2008 at 8:29 pm

What a great point about showing a surviving loved one how special their departed was to others. Thanks for sharing!

Todd Smith´s last blog post..Tasty Photos of “Lafayette French Pastry” bakery in NYC

Laurie Delk April 27, 2010 at 6:14 pm

Have you ever looked at Send Out Cards – it would be a NEAT way for you to add your pictures to cards, and offer them to clients – your images are AMAZING! http://SendCardsFree.com

Todd Smith April 28, 2010 at 12:36 pm

I did take a look at Send Out Cards about a year ago. I have a friend who is a rep. It’s not a bad idea to take a look at it again. Thanks!

Laurie Delk April 28, 2010 at 1:54 pm

You should re-look at it – the system is amazing – and your pics on the front – would make them INCREDIBLE 🙂

Ask your friend about it – (of they don’t want to show you, I would be happy to! :)) – but I think you would like it 🙂

Todd Smith April 28, 2010 at 2:24 pm

Hey, thanks Laurie! I will give it another look. The last time I looked into Send Out Cards I was still interested in being an independent card company, but that has changed. I actually have made my nature photography more of a hobby now.

The Send Out Cards system could be a nice solution to set up and forget… plus it offers a great service for making it really easy for people to send cards. Thanks for reminding me.

And thanks for your compliments on my work. I really appreciate it.