What frame would you choose?

by Todd Smith on December 17, 2008

I mentioned more than a week ago, I would love for you to help me create on this blog. I’m still a newbie at framing and would like to hear your input.

The following image taken at Butchart Gardens last month has a few options for framing. I’m kind of leaning towards a black frame because it brings out the curve of the tree trunk in the image. The red frame makes the red leaves and the bridge stand out more, but the trunk is my favorite graphic.

What do you think of the gold trim on the second frame? I’m not sure, maybe distracting.

I also like the bamboo frame at the end. For me, I think it’s between the first frame and the last frame. And I’m leaning towards the simplicity of the first. What do you think?

Is there any frame idea that I didn’t show here? I’d love to hear your thoughts.

framed print of japanese maple and bridge

framed print of japanese maple and bridge

framed print of japanese maple and bridge

framed print of japanese maple and bridge

Sue Brown December 17, 2008 at 8:27 pm

I like them all, but the one I’d be most likely to hang on my wall would be the plain black frame. I agree that the tree trunk is the main graphic element, and I like how it’s emphasized with the plain back frame. The bamboo is nice, but would clash with other pictures on my wall. The red and gold are nice too, and I might choose them in a red or gold themed room. Still, I like plain black the best.

Sue Brown´s last blog post..WordPress 2.7 & New Theme on the Way

Joely Black (@TheCharmQuark on Twitter) December 18, 2008 at 5:59 am

The first one. It really brings out the picture, rather than drawing attention to itself.

Joely Black (@TheCharmQuark on Twitter)´s last blog post..An inglorious end to the day

June Parrish Cookson December 18, 2008 at 2:08 pm

Hi Todd,

I too am new to framing my own pieces. When my fine art pieces were in galleries, it was a matter of letting them do the framing. Admittedly, never enjoyed anything to do with framing. Too many decisions! But this attitude is gradually changing all due in part to my online shop soon to open. So, it will be nice to follow your journey and to hear other people’s comments on your blog.

Regarding your frames, I agree with Sue. These are all nice and would work within certain decorative schemes for rooms. But the ones I like best are the black frames. And between the two… my final choice would be the second one.

Btw, thank you so much for the wonderful comment you left on my blog!
Cheers,
June

June Parrish Cookson´s last blog post..Indulgent Card Creativity

Todd Smith December 18, 2008 at 3:07 pm

Sue – It’s great to hear the perspective of where the frame will hang. Different frames for different spaces… See this is why I need your help. It’s too easy for a photographer to think of the image out of context of it’s final home on the wall.

Joely – I like the simplicity of that one too.

June – There are a lot of decisions in framing, aren’t there? Thanks for your input. And really love the new cards on your blog. You’re such an artist!

Todd Smith´s last blog post..What frame would you choose?

Graham Strong December 18, 2008 at 7:19 pm

Great photo! Wish I lived somewhere that looked like that a month ago!

Lately, I’ve been partial to plain black frames with white matting, so I would choose Option #1. If anything, I’d make the frame a bit thicker. (Is this a real frame, or just for showing photos online…?)

Option #2 would be my fifth choice out of the four, because I really don’t like gold frames. lol

~Graham

Graham Strong´s last blog post..Creative Ads: Folgers

Todd Smith December 19, 2008 at 2:35 pm

Thanks, Graham. Good idea to look for a thicker black frame.

These are real frames but they have not been made yet. It’s a mock-up for comparison. The real frame would look just like this (only it would be real. lol)

Thanks for your input, it helps a lot.

Todd Smith´s last blog post..What frame would you choose?

Mother Earth aka Karen Hanrahan December 20, 2008 at 7:26 pm

I have framed everything in my home in black and have never once regretted it. I am partial to thick even oversized thick black framing. Beautiful piece!

Mother Earth aka Karen Hanrahan´s last blog post..I Don’t Have A Thing To Wear

Todd Smith December 20, 2008 at 8:18 pm

Mother Earth – Thanks for your thoughts on black frames (and thick ones). Will definitely keep an eye out for them.

Elaine Luther December 21, 2008 at 10:32 am

I like the first one. The red and the bamboo are too distracting. Gallery style frames are the first choice for art photography.

Elaine Luther´s last blog post..Jewelry Tourism: Chicago, at Gail’s Tales

Todd Smith December 21, 2008 at 1:20 pm

Mother Earth, Graham – I found a thicker black frame. What do you think?

thick black frame

Todd Smith December 21, 2008 at 1:28 pm

Good info to hear – about black framed being first choice for photography. I’ll keep that in mind. Thank you!

Mother Earth aka Karen Hanrahan December 21, 2008 at 10:37 pm

I adore the thicker frame — what does your gut tell you ??

Mother Earth aka Karen Hanrahan´s last blog post..Marble Temporarily Has A New Home

Todd Smith December 22, 2008 at 12:26 am

I’m liking that too! Thanks.

Todd Smith´s last blog post..Tasty Photos of “Lafayette French Pastry” bakery in NYC

Mother Earth aka Karen Hanrahan December 22, 2008 at 1:03 am

would you ever consider losing the white mat??

Todd Smith December 22, 2008 at 1:11 am

Sure, what suggestions would you offer. I think I end up with white mats because I don’t know what else to do. I’ve got a ton to choose from. Tell me some colors you would like to see here and I’ll try them out and post the results.

Mother Earth aka Karen Hanrahan December 23, 2008 at 12:21 am

try no mat at all – thick black frame

Mother Earth aka Karen Hanrahan´s last blog post..The Wealth Of Your Health

Todd Smith December 23, 2008 at 12:39 am

Wow! You’re amazing. That really works. Thank you!!! 🙂

framed print of japanese maple and bridge

Mother Earth aka Karen Hanrahan December 24, 2008 at 7:39 pm

Boy did that pic POP!!

I like this the best of all.

Is it my personal taste or do others agree?

Thanks for playing with it

P.S. I like the blurry french pasty chef also – in both color and black and white 🙂

Mother Earth aka Karen Hanrahan´s last blog post..Simply The Best Post of 2008

Todd Smith December 24, 2008 at 8:20 pm

Yeah, tell me about it. I’m so glad you suggested to lose the mat. What a difference!

allison trentelman January 12, 2009 at 3:33 pm

Wow, I rarely/never frame without a matt, but that one does look absolutely gorgeous with that thick black frame! Really beautiful work Todd!

Todd Smith August 2, 2009 at 2:16 pm

I just put this framed print for sale on my site (with two variations: the gallery frame, #1 above, and the thick black frame with no matt, the last one above.

Thanks again, Karen. I mentioned your name in the product description.