What do you think of Engagement Calendars or Daytimers?

by Todd Smith on January 14, 2009

A big thank you to everyone who voted on next year’s calendar size. If you haven’t voted yet, it’s not too late. We’ve had 46 votes so far and I’d still love to get 100 before making a decision on a wall calendar size. See the left hand sidebar to vote.

This discussion on calendars has brought up an interesting new idea: Engagement Calendars.

Metropolitan Museum of Art Engagement Calendar

Quite a few people have asked me about an engagement calendar (like the one by the Metropolitan Museum of Art, pictured above). This is the kind of calendar that you put by your phone or on your desk. On the left side page of each spread is a picture and on the right side is a calendar for the week, with room for notes on each day.

I know my mom uses one of these by her phone, and she used to get one for my grandmother every year. I’ve never used a calendar like this, but I’m starting to think that many people do.

What do you think? Are these calendar’s useful? Tell me the pros and cons of this kind of calendar from your point of view. Do you think a lot of people use them? Do you?

Joely Black (@TheCharmQuark) January 14, 2009 at 12:56 pm

I love the daytimer pictured here. That I could work with. I have nowhere to put a wall calendar. My walls are all brick and I’m not allowed to put screws into them to hang stuff up.

I use my iPhone for pretty much everything these days. I sometimes get tempted to buy a diary or daytimer, but to be honest, they end up unused. I’m not sure how things will work out though in the future – my habits often change and I end up needing to do something different. Because I do everything by email, the phone doesn’t get much usage.

Joely Black (@TheCharmQuark)´s last blog post..That’s my brain over there

christy January 14, 2009 at 1:05 pm

I always want to use these sorts of calendars, but end up not doing it. I think I have a sort of calendar phobia.

I’m all good with wall calendars, because I frequently need to orient myself to either the date or day of the week, and wall calendars are great for that. Because they’re on the wall, they can’t get covered by all of the rubbish on my desk!

christy´s last blog post..How To Destroy a New Media Company in Three Easy Steps

Todd Smith January 14, 2009 at 1:39 pm

Joely – good point about iPhone. It’s hard to compete with that kind of convenience.

Christy – I hear what you’re saying. I’ve always liked a wall calendar even though I keep my appointments on my computer. I use it just to glance up at the date.

Todd Smith´s last blog post..What do you think of Engagement Calendars or Daytimers?

Katy January 14, 2009 at 4:02 pm

Todd,

Your work is amazing! As far as the calendar goes, I am still trying to figure out the best format for keeping info on 2 jobs, personal life, triathlon training and food journaling all in one place! Doesn’t really answer your question, but thought I’d throw in my three cents.

Katy

anne kain January 15, 2009 at 8:04 am

Todd – I love the idea for a daytimer. I use one – the kind that shows the month at a glance. I’d definitely be interested in getting one with your photographs – if you go that route!!

Anne

Judy January 15, 2009 at 9:37 am

Those look lovely- I use my computer for my cal. but do cary around a small cal. in my purse for when I am out and about. I hang a wall cal. in my kitchen for the day to day stuff and family birthdays.
My kitchen cal. must be esthetically pleasing and I like it when each months picture is relevant to the season/month we are in.

Ann January 15, 2009 at 11:30 am

GREAT idea!!!! I use an engagement calendar every day — old school, I know. I’m always looking for a nice one and I’d buy one (or more) of your in a heartbeat!

elaine January 15, 2009 at 1:01 pm

Hey Todd! I can t really help on that one as I just use a pockect size agenda to carry with me 🙂

Steve January 15, 2009 at 4:03 pm

I have less use for an engagement calendar, but I could buy one as a gift for my wife for next year.

Todd Smith January 16, 2009 at 10:58 am

Thank you so much! This helps a lot – it’s amazing how many ways we all use to keep track of time.