How can I sell my greeting cards in your favorite store?

by Todd Smith on February 9, 2009

24 - pocket greeting card display

When you think of greeting cards where does your mind go? Maybe it’s a drugstore that has a nice selection. Maybe it’s a grocery store, or a store devoted to cards and gifts.

I’m asking you a favor today – one that I think will be good for both of us. I want to put my greeting cards in more stores and need your help to do it. If you suggest your favorite store, you will have the convenience of being able to buy my cards locally, with no waiting and no shipping.

Right now my cards are in four stores: a drugstore, a gourmet grocery store, an art gallery and a gift store. So far the gourmet grocery store is outselling everyone, with the drugstore right behind.

Can you help me expand? Do you know a store where my colorful cards would fit?

Let me know in the comments below. I’ll contact the store’s buyer and leave you another comment with his or her response. All cards are barcoded and display racks are included.

Diane Whiddon-Brown February 11, 2009 at 2:43 am

Oh, I wish I sold my websites in a brick-and-mortar, just so I could display your cards. 🙂

I can’t think of anything right now, but I’ll keep this in mind. I may visit the perfect store tomorrow…

Diane Whiddon-Brown´s last blog post..Writing Every Day

Todd Smith February 11, 2009 at 2:47 am

Thanks, Diane. One more person gave me some ideas offline. Every lead helps a ton.

Todd Smith´s last blog post..How can I sell my greeting cards in your favorite store?

Diane February 17, 2009 at 11:05 am

What a great idea Todd asking readers for help in this way. Way up here where I live I can’t think of a place but I wonder if the gift shops at greenhouses is a place you’ve considered?

Diane´s last blog post.."Stop" by and stay awhile

Todd Smith February 18, 2009 at 5:11 pm

Diane – That’s a great idea about greenhouses… maybe even botanical gardens. I know one that has a gift shop. You’ve got me thinking, thank you! 🙂

Peter June 13, 2009 at 7:47 pm

I sell my on supprint.com, it’s working very well for me.

Todd Smith June 19, 2009 at 11:34 pm

Thanks, Peter.

Sarah Bell October 4, 2009 at 4:15 pm

Hi. I am also thinking of selling photo cards in some shops. What steps should I take? How do you go about asking the stores and what do you normally organize in terms of profits and such.

Thanks for your help!
Sarah Bell

Todd Smith October 4, 2009 at 4:32 pm

Hi Sarah,

It’s a bit of an uphill battle, and it helps if you have a personal connection, but basically you have to call the main number of a store that you think would be a good match and ask how to set up an appointment with the buyer. Buyers are usually quite busy, and don’t expect you to come in unannounced. If you are at a distance, than ask if you could set up a time to speak with the buyer by phone.

The cool thing about buyers is that they won’t waste a lot of your time. They either think your cards will sell in their store or not. They will be grateful if you are also respectful of their time.

At the same time, you do have to be persistent to get your work in front of them. Many times they won’t return calls, etc. In the end, you have to keep knocking on doors. If one out of every 11 buyers buys from you, then try to get through the first ten as quickly as possible so you can get to that 11th one! 🙂

Stores usually expect to get a 50% markdown from full retail prices. If you can include display racks, that is sometimes a bonus. I wouldn’t recommend getting involved with consignment – messy, and you end up keeping too much inventory. The owner is getting the 50% because they are willing to take the risk.

Also, you might try Etsy.com I just joined yesterday on the recommendation of an artist friend. She says she does quite well there. They only take 2.5% commission plus $.20/item listed.

I hope this helps.
Todd

Vivian Mendez October 23, 2009 at 12:17 pm

Hello everyone, would anyone happen to know how I could market my greeting cards? I illustrate and create them myself from my home.

Todd Smith October 26, 2009 at 4:40 pm

Hi Vivian, Welcome! First of all, why don’t you share with us a link to your work? Do you have some pictures of your cards online?

Irene George March 20, 2011 at 1:00 pm

Hi…I too am trying to get me cards noticed…however I’m more of a specialty.
I go from Menopause to Marijuana….adult themed but so so true, off the wall and not for everyones humor.
I have tried Spencer’s, Menopause the Musical, Rite Aid, CVS….all the big boys. I have a wonderful graphic designer. Any ideas you have would be very much apprecieated. thank you,
Irene

Todd Smith March 20, 2011 at 1:19 pm

Hi Irene, I’m afraid I’m not much help. I actually have discontinued promoting my cards. I still sell a few here on my website, but going door to door to shopkeepers turned out not to be what I wanted to do when I grew up! 🙂

Todd Smith March 20, 2011 at 9:25 pm

Very cool, Irene. I wish you lots of luck as well. 🙂

leif king August 18, 2011 at 10:14 pm

Hey send me samples maybe we can work together. I am well known and have possible openings with 25 to 50 new customers a month. Maybe it will work

Todd Smith August 25, 2011 at 4:15 pm

Thanks Leif. I’ll send you an email.