A visit to the Stone Carver’s Yard

by Todd Smith on February 20, 2009

In this week’s newsletter you’ll find photos of my visit to a stone carver’s yard in Chennai, India. I was there a few years ago and was amazed by the ability and patience that these stone carvers have to transform solid granite into life-like forms.

drawing the eyes on a stone statue

What forms have you been bringing forth these days?

Justin Korn February 20, 2009 at 6:53 pm

Todd – I really like the first image. This is great photography – the images depicts a story without you ever saying a word. Well done!

Justin Korn´s last blog post..…The Yellow Brick Road

Todd Smith February 20, 2009 at 6:58 pm

Thanks, Justin. There is so much to talk about there, you’re right. I’ll add another element by saying that the man whose hands are drawing the eyes is the designer himself (he often hires other carvers to do much of the tedious work). This image is like the creator breathing life into his creation. 🙂

Friar February 22, 2009 at 12:45 pm

Usually, I associate stone carvings with cheesy movies with 2000 year old temples (like Indiana Jones). ….I didn’t know people still did stuff like this.

Imagine the work just to carve that hand, alone!

Susan/Together We Flourish February 22, 2009 at 1:33 pm

Simply beautiful!

Susan/Together We Flourish´s last blog post..North Hills Youth Ministry Needs Volunteers to Tutor

Friar February 22, 2009 at 9:54 pm

You know…that sculpture in that last photo….it’s got a man/ape kind of them to it.

It DOES kind of remind me of (dare I say it…?)…a praying gorilla! 😀

Todd Smith February 22, 2009 at 10:36 pm

Friar – Now you’re talking… I don’t know how I missed it! 🙂 Now I’m seeing gorillas everywhere. Makes me hungry again thinking about that gorilla (I mean donut) painting you did.

Susan – I’m glad you like them. I just took the photos. It was quite amazing. Like Friar said, how long did it take to do on hand?!

Todd Smith´s last blog post..A visit to the Stone Carver’s Yard

Diane February 23, 2009 at 11:10 am

A really nice set of images Todd. I’m always intrigued with photos of people at work, particularly if it is something as unusual as this (unusual because I didn’t realize this was something that was still done).

Diane´s last blog post..Calmly waiting

Todd Smith February 23, 2009 at 2:49 pm

Diane – Yeah, it’s like a blast from the past. I can’t imagine that the process has changed much in thousands of years.

Todd Smith´s last blog post..A visit to the Stone Carver’s Yard