Photos from Seattle and the Columbia River in a Snowstorm

by Todd Smith on March 13, 2009

This week’s newsletter features a short story of a country mouse who travels to the city of his dreams.

As winter draws to a close, I am thinking of adventures and new beginnings still just forming in my mind. Have you ever noticed how dreams begin? Sometimes vaguely… sometimes they’re very detailed.

What fascinates me is the way the world appears to be amazing, and almost unreal, when you actually fulfill a dream. It’s hard to tell whether the concrete expression of the dream is really there in front of my eyes or is still inside my mind, like the foggy thoughts that spawned it.

How is life treating you this late winter? Have you gotten out recently? What dreams are you pursuing?

train tracks along the Columbia River in winter

These ten images can be purchased as wallpaper photos (normally $0.99 each). When purchased together, they are only $7.43 (25% off).

rebekahhi March 13, 2009 at 6:35 pm

These are beautiful and cold feeling. Just like winter.
Yes I have been out this winter, this is my first winter semester on the SIUC campus and I walked every where, rain, cold, sleet, and snow. I could feelit on my face, smell it and I even began to look forward to the hurried feelings it gave me because it was very, very cold. Sometimes it was dark and lonely.

I have a cousin who is named ToddSmith, his Utube is The Noel Smith Project, check out his music. I sounds like your photography. Go there you’l hear what I am writing. REB

LisaNewton March 13, 2009 at 10:48 pm

I’ve never been to Seattle, so I’m so glad you shared these. Thank you, Todd………….:)

LisaNewton´s last blog post..A Los Angeles Scavenger Hunt

Todd Smith March 14, 2009 at 10:13 pm

Rebekahhi – Thanks for sharing your experience. I remember a thin wool coat that I had in high-school and college. Against the bitter wind of Iowa winters it was pretty useless, but I used to enjoy the challenge of winter with it on. :)

Very cool about your cousin. I’m going to have to check out his music.

Lisa – It was just a peek, but one of my friends who lives there says that she recognized the building in the last shot. It’s some kind of a church.

Todd Smith´s last blog post..Photos from Seattle and the Columbia River in a Snowstorm

kathryn March 16, 2009 at 2:30 pm

I missed your blog- glad you’re back and the site looks fantastic. I’ve been doing that end of winter thing where you re-evaluate , plan , think , ponder etc. New Years’ is really such an awkward time for that kind of reflection. I find this a much better time personally. I have wonderful new things happening and readjusting to let go of some old. All is well. The photographs are amazing, as usual :). How are you ?

Todd Smith March 16, 2009 at 2:34 pm

Kathryn – I’m doing great. Glad to hear that things are popping for you – just in time for spring! I’m feeling a bit overwhelmed with all the stuff I need to do. Especially loading new products on my website. Just have to take it one step at at time, I guess! :)

elaine March 16, 2009 at 3:11 pm

Only saw this part of teh world in summer! what a great perspective

Todd Smith March 16, 2009 at 3:59 pm

Elaine – It is a beautiful area. I’m glad you were able to see it. I’ve never seen the Columbia River freeze, but I’ve only been here a few years. I bet it has frozen in the past. I love the grandness of this river!

Diane Whiddon-Brown March 17, 2009 at 3:24 pm

Love these pictures. The snow and ice are gorgeous. Totally makes me want to visit. With my heaviest coat and boots, and a thermos full of hot chocolate, of course. :)

Diane Whiddon-Brown´s last blog post..A Note from the Grammar Mafia

Todd Smith March 23, 2009 at 12:39 am

You’re welcome here anytime. We’ll even provide the hot chocolate for you! :)

Todd Smith´s last blog post..Commercial Photography For My Sister

team building scavenger hunt October 24, 2012 at 12:11 pm

Hello, Neat post. There is an issue with your web site in internet explorer, would check this… IE still is the market leader and a big component of folks will miss your wonderful writing because of this problem.

Todd Smith October 25, 2012 at 7:55 pm

Thanks. I think you’re right. I need to update WordPress on this site. Thanks.