Preliminary image selection for next year’s calendar

by Todd Smith on May 5, 2009

Thank you to everyone who left comments helping me choose the pictures for last year’s photography calendar.

Now it’s time to narrow down the choices…

January

I’m thinking about moving the frozen flowers, which is the most popular image for this month, to March–the right time of year for this image. What do you think? After the ice photo, the two most popular pictures for January are the rows of apple trees in the snow and the lone tree in the snow.

February

The three most popular photos for February are: the ice breakup on Lake Skaha, the hay bales in snow, and the grapes on the vine in snow. What’s your favorite for February?

March

The choices for March are the hillside of poppies and lupines, or the frozen flower buds from January. Both were very popular. Would the ice work here in March? What would you choose?

April

For April, it’s between the ladybug, the clematis and the lilacs, with the ladybug winning so far. Any votes?

May

The daisies are slightly ahead for May, followed by the yellow roses and the crumpled tulip. What’s your preference?

June

It’s between the peacock and the waterfall for June, with the waterfall winning by a body length. Any more input?

July

It was a close race for all of the photos for July. The two leaders turned out to be the apricots and the cherries. I’m also going to save the apricot in the tree. So it’s between these three. What would you like on your wall next summer?

August

The clear winner for August was the fishing scene, but unfortunately I can’t use that one without a model release (and I didn’t think to run over and ask the couple in the picture for one when I took it). After that, the waves crashing and the horse picture are the closest seconds. Do you have a preference?

September

The grapes picture was way out in front for September. After that was the apples in bins, and then tied for third was the green apple and the milkweed pod. Any last words?

October

This turned out to be the hardest month. They are all in a dead heat. Can you pick a winner? I’m leaning towards the first one because it worked well on the cover I did a few weeks ago.

November

The ice crystals image is the clear winner for November. If you have other suggestions from January or February, let me know. I might use the old sunflower from January here, or the grapes in snow from February.

December

December’s favorite was by far the pinecones, the next contestant was the snowy village. What’s your opinion? We could also use extra images from Jan or Feb.

Leave your comments below… we’re coming down the home stretch now!

I’m currently in Astoria, Oregon, on my way down the Pacific Coast. Lots of rain the last few days, but I saw the sun this evening! Photography and camping in the rain is challenging, but there were some good shots nonetheless. Photos will show up here over the next few weeks, so stay tuned.

Beth May 7, 2009 at 9:00 am

November – ice crystasl
December-snowy village

Beth May 7, 2009 at 9:26 am

Hi, Todd. <3 <3

Mary Kate Ferguson May 7, 2009 at 10:03 am

Todd
They are all just beautiful. You are amazing thank you for being beauty every week!
I really mean it
Mary kate

Bev May 7, 2009 at 10:14 am

Hi Todd,
Here are my choices! Hope you are well.

Jan – apple trees leading you in to the new year
Feb – hay bales look like shredded wheat to warm you up
Mar – frozen cherry blossoms of course
April – lady bug
May – daisies
June – waterfall
July – apricot in tree, more interesting than the just the fruit
Aug – waves
Sept – grapes, of course
Oct – first one, my favorite
Nov – sunflower
Dec – pine cones

Gail May 7, 2009 at 11:09 am

Hi Todd,

My choices are below, but all are beautiful in their own way!

Jan – lone tree in the snow
Feb – hay bales because it’s breakfast-time and the box of shredded wheat is calling me
Mar – frozen cherry blossoms
Apr – lady bug
May – yellow roses
June – peacock
July – peaches
August – horse
Sept – grapes
Oct – leaves on stone
Nov – sunflower
Dec – pine cones
Apr –

JS May 7, 2009 at 11:13 am

They are all great photos!!
I prefer warmer photos in winter – I already feel too cold and looking out my window see only cold. Anything with color (especially red) and light on the the calendar are a great way to warm my mood.
January – peacock – peeking into the new year
Feb – frozen fruit blossoms or ice on lake Saha
Mar – lupins and poppies
Apr – the lilacs – so fresh I can smell them!
May – daisies are so perky
June – that waterfall is spectacular
July – either of the apricots
Aug – waves curling
Sept grapes or MILKWEED
Oct – maples
Nov. – birches from Oct
Dec. – ice from Nov

Barb Davis, MD May 7, 2009 at 5:52 pm

Oh, Todd, everyone is so beautiful I don’t know how you can choose!! The colors and the clarity are so perfect — you can even imagine how the fruit tastes. Thank you for sharing such incredible work — I think God put you here to capture His beauty for us! I appreciate you — you are very gifted!
Barb

June Parrish Cookson May 9, 2009 at 10:01 am

Hi Todd,

My Choices:
Jan – apple trees
Feb – hay bales
Mar- *** frozen flower buds
April- love ladybugs but the clematis is just too gorgeous!
May- yellow roses
June- peacock
July- apricots (first)
Aug- horse
Sept- milkweed pod (but think #4 Leaves on Pavers from October would be a wonderful alternative here)
Oct- Japanese maple
Nov- sunflower
Dec- pine cones

Cheers!
P.S. Thanks for the tips on interspire product variations!

June Parrish Cookson´s last blog post..Magnolia & Grey Gardens

Ann Arbitman May 11, 2009 at 10:11 am

my choices

April: Lilacs
May: Yellow Roses
August: Fishing Scene

these are my favorites!

Todd Smith May 12, 2009 at 2:32 pm

Thanks everyone. I am reading all your comments and will be taking them all into consideration for the final selection. I’m still traveling… lots of good newsletters to come: I just finished photographing the California Redwoods yesterday… What a great trip this is along the Pacific Coast!

Christine Patrick May 14, 2009 at 7:46 am

Hi Todd,

Thanks for your newsletter every week. It’s definitely a highlight!

Here are my picks for the calendar:
Jan – frozen flower
Feb – hay bales
Mar – hillside
Apr – ladybug
May – yellow rose
June – peacock
July – apricot in tree
Aug – waves
Sept – grapes
Oct – 1st one
Nov – old sunflower
Dec – row of apple trees from Jan

It was great to see you and celebrate with you a few weeks ago!

love,
Christine

Kom og vind i konkurrencer June 21, 2009 at 4:41 am

I love all the photos from top to bottom, my hearts beat fast by simply looking at all these fabulous photography.

Here is my choice for a calendar…

Jan – apple trees
Feb – hay bales
Mar – hillside
Apr – lilacs
May – yellow rose
June – peacock
July – apricot in tree
Aug – waves
Sept – grapes
Oct – Japanese maple
Nov – birches
Dec – pine cones

I really like you posts, thanks….

Todd Smith June 21, 2009 at 10:06 am

Thanks, Kom. Your timing is perfect! I am making the final selection of pictures for the calendar today and will be sending the calendar to be printed on Tuesday. Your input is very much appreciated. I look forward to any comments from you in the future!

Todd Smith June 22, 2009 at 11:33 am

I just finished making the final selection this morning, and I want to say a big THANK YOU to everyone who left comments here! It’s amazing how clear some of the choices became with everyone’s feedback. I hope you will like the final picks. The calendar will be sent to the printer this week. My next blog post will show the final design.

Todd Smith´s last blog post..Preliminary image selection for next year’s calendar