A Frame for this Horse Picture

by Todd Smith on September 2, 2009

This fun shot of a horse scratching its chin on a post is one of the first images you see when you visit my site. I’d like to pick some frame options for this print. Can you help?

Here’s what I’ve got so far. Let me know what you prefer. If you have other ideas or suggestions for framing or matting, I’d love to hear them.

By the way, I’ve decided to go back to my Monday, Wednesday, Friday routine for blogging.

Frame Style 1:  21 3/4 x 17 inches (55.2 x 43.2 cm)

Canadian Walnut Frame
Premium Luster Photo Paper
Print size: 13 3/4 x 9 inches (34.9 x 22.9 cm)
Price $333

I like the wood frame with a golden walnut finish.  The wide frame brings out the color of the horse nicely.

horse framed print

frame cross section

frame corner

Frame Style 2:  17 3/4 x 13 5/8 inches (45.1 x 34.5 cm)

Metal Frame – Frosted Walnut Finish
Premium Luster Photo Paper
Print size: 11 3/4 x 7 5/8 inches (29.9 x 19.4 cm)
Price $248

This is a less expensive frame because it is a slightly smaller print and it is a metal frame instead of hardwood. I like the thin frame look with lots of matting around the print.

horse framed print

frame cross section

frame corner

Frame Style 3:  18 3/4 x 14 5/8 inches (47.6 x 37.1 cm)

Gallery Frame – Charter Oak
Premium Luster Photo Paper
Print size: 11 3/4 x 7 5/8 inches (29.8 x 19.4 cm)
Price $290

This narrow, oak frame has a rounded edge and a similar, golden color as the horse. This is the same size print and mat as the previous (metal) frame.

horse framed print

frame cross section

frame corner

Frame Style 4:  41 3/4 x 31 5/8 inches (106 x 80.3 cm)

Fine Hardwood Frame – Narrow Classic Walnut
Premium Luster Photo Paper
Print size: 29 3/4 x 19 5/8 inches (75.6 x 42.2 cm)
Price $1,047

This is the most expensive version. It is a much larger size and it uses premium hardwood. This might be good for a living room or office space.

horse framed print

frame cross section

frame corner

Frame Style 5:  25 1/4 x 20 1/2 inches (64.1 x 52.1 cm)

Rustica Frame – Barnwood Brown
Premium Luster Photo Paper
Print size: 13 3/4″ x 9″ inches (34.9 x 22.9 cm)
Price $382

I like the rustic, barn-like look of this frame. It suits the horse perfectly in color and in texture. The image size is the same as the first frame, though the frame is a bit wider.

horse framed print

frame cross section

frame corner

Let me know what you think. I love getting your suggestions.

You can see these new framed prints (shown above) for sale here. Your suggestions in the comments below will be incorporated into the product page.

Janice Cartier September 3, 2009 at 11:27 am

Todd,
Try a bluish silver frame for contrast with a clean white matt. See how you like it. Could make it pop even more. Love the shot.
.-= Janice Cartier´s last blog ..A River Of Paint =-.

Todd Smith September 3, 2009 at 1:09 pm

I just wrote you a detailed response, Janice and it evaporated. This is a test… more to come, if this works. todd

080708-0189-f6a.jpg
.-= Todd Smith´s last blog ..A Frame for this Horse Picture =-.

Todd Smith September 3, 2009 at 1:12 pm

Ok, great, that worked. I made up three new frames on your suggestion. what do you think of these?

I’m going to do them one at a time so I don’t overwhelm the system this time.

This is a warm silver but I like the way it brings out the shadows in the print.

080708-0189-f6a.jpg

080708-0189-f6b.jpg

080708-0189-f6c.gif
.-= Todd Smith´s last blog ..A Frame for this Horse Picture =-.

Todd Smith September 3, 2009 at 1:15 pm

Here’s the next one: a studio frame with silver paint. Not bad. The silver adds a new dimension to the image.

080708-0189-f7a.jpg

080708-0189-f7b.jpg

080708-0189-f7c.gif
.-= Todd Smith´s last blog ..A Frame for this Horse Picture =-.

Todd Smith September 3, 2009 at 1:17 pm

I think this one’s my favorite. A blue/gray frame with a rustic look.

What do you think?

I see what you mean about complimenting the browns with the blue. You’ve got a great sense of color.

080708-0189-f8a.jpg

080708-0189-f8b.jpg

080708-0189-f8c.gif
.-= Todd Smith´s last blog ..A Frame for this Horse Picture =-.

Janice Cartier September 3, 2009 at 2:00 pm

I LOVE the warm silver. Look how it takes it from a picture of a horse ( a very good one) to an art piece.. IMHO LOL But then that’s just me. 🙂
.-= Janice Cartier´s last blog ..A River Of Paint =-.

Todd Smith September 3, 2009 at 2:58 pm

Yes, I like the warm silver too. It brings the horse out of the barn into the living room! 🙂
.-= Todd Smith´s last blog ..A Frame for this Horse Picture =-.

Janice Cartier September 3, 2009 at 3:06 pm

ROFLOL.. Why yes, it does! :)))
.-= Janice Cartier´s last blog ..A River Of Paint =-.

Todd Smith September 3, 2009 at 3:25 pm