Would you keep this photo?

by Todd Smith on December 24, 2008

Here’s a question that comes up for me almost every day: should I keep a photo or chuck it? The good old process of editing…

In this particular shot, from last week’s photo shoot at Lafayette French Pastry, the camera shutter speed was a bit slower than I wanted and it shows some motion blur. Part of me wants to throw it out, but there’s also a part of me that really likes it. It shows the action behind the scenes in the bakery.

My ten-year old friend, Logan, says I should keep it with the caption, “Ghost Making Danishes.” What do you think? Was this a happy accident or one for the bin?

Ted in the bakery

Here’s another thought. Maybe it would look better in black and white… here’s the B&W version. What’s your take?

Ted in the bakery

If you do vote to keep it, how would you use it? greeting card? print for a kitchen or dining room? Tell me your thoughts.

John Kim December 24, 2008 at 5:24 pm

I vote no. Gives me a headache to look at.

christy December 24, 2008 at 7:51 pm

I vote yes. When I was still a working photog, I once captured a shot like this in essence. At first I thought to junk it, but then I realized that it showed kinetic motion. A captured principle of physics. How cool is that?

Todd Smith December 24, 2008 at 8:23 pm

John, Christy – I can see both of your points here. That’s why I thought I’d ask everyone for an opinion. I guess it depends on what you expect to see in an image, and how you want to use it.

Henk Doornbos December 25, 2008 at 4:34 am

I always keep them…. the pictures that didn’t turn out the way i planned them are mostely the most interesting 🙂

kathryn January 2, 2009 at 3:39 pm

I always like pictures of people and objects in motion. Love seeing the movement “captured” – truly an un posed (if that’s a real word!?) photo.

Thanks Todd 🙂

Logan January 6, 2009 at 10:20 pm

heh like what I called the photo “ghost making danishes”?

ted November 27, 2009 at 2:02 pm

ghosts can be haunting. as an amateur photographer, I must say I look better in B&W- color makes it more real than surreal just like entertainment television tweeks their information to make it sellable for example charro-scurro ( girl in bright light- man in filter-lens dark image)- truth distortion. Maybe the photographer’s own experiences influence the final image rather than just shooting it in B&W, shot it in color. As one black caller said about my cookies- it is what it is and thats cool. And the two black transvestites who thought my cookie designs were just too funny. It’s art and then you eat it.