What frame do you like on this print for a bathroom wall?

by Todd Smith on February 24, 2009

What kind of photos do you put in a bathroom? Here’s one you might not have considered…

From the Oliver Brake and Muffler series, this sink will make yours look spotless!

What frame do you like best? Do you have any suggestions not seen here?

I love the contrast between a somewhat fancy frame, with a large clean mat, and the dirty sink in the image.

framed print for a bathroom

The next frame draws me into the image more. I like the simplicity of the frame and the way that the metal picks-up some of the lighter tones in the wall.

framed print for a bathroom

The next one seems so country. I like how its style suits the subject.

framed print for a bathroom

The black of the next frame makes me feel like I’m walking through it. I also like how the edge highlights the lighter colors in the wall and sink.

framed print for a bathroom

This last frame below is a classic, gallery frame (this frame and the very first one above are larger size – about 17 – 20 inches or 43 – 50 cm). The middle frames are quite small (like about 1 foot in length, around 29 cm). Again, I like the large white area. The simple black frame is completely neutral. I threw in a black edge on the mat, what do you think?

framed print for a bathroom

Jen Grant February 24, 2009 at 7:09 pm

I’d say the second one draws my eye into the details of the photo the best—-but the third one fits my style most.

ps…how’d you get a picture of my sink without me knowing you were in my house? ;0)

Jen Grant┬┤s last blog post..this blog makes my ADD happy…

Todd Smith February 24, 2009 at 7:15 pm

That’s crackin’ me up! ­čÖé They told me you wouldn’t mind. hehehe

Yeah, I like #2 a lot (@nationwideclass and @danaseverance on Twitter liked it too). Something about the metal – maybe it fits a shop well too.

LisaNewton February 25, 2009 at 1:28 am

Maybe it’s just me, but I really like the brown on brown. It’s #3 for me, all the way. Brown on brown works for the “country” side of me………………..:)

LisaNewton┬┤s last blog post..Men at Work

Todd Smith February 25, 2009 at 1:32 am

Lisa – I can totally see that one in my bathroom too! You can take a boy out of the country… ­čÖé

Todd Smith┬┤s last blog post..What frame do you like on this print for a bathroom wall?

Diane February 25, 2009 at 11:42 am

For me, each has its merits. On a gut level I’m drawn most to #2 but as far as which would look best in a bathroom, that would really depend a lot on the bathroom and how it’s decorated. So, my choice, not taking into consideration what bathroom it may end up in, is #2. ­čÖé

Diane┬┤s last blog post..Head on

Friar February 25, 2009 at 3:44 pm

The third one…

Friar┬┤s last blog post..Blogging Commenter Stereotypes

Diane Whiddon-Brown February 26, 2009 at 8:40 am

First one. The contrast between fancy and filthy is just too delightful. But second fave would be the fourth one. You’re right about the black of the mat. It just sucks me right in. I love this photo.

Diane Whiddon-Brown┬┤s last blog post..The Muse, Alcohol, and Attendance

jana souza February 27, 2009 at 1:27 pm

HI, found you via twitter; like the first one but with a black undermatting to offset the simplicity of the frame. Everything else either took away from the artwork, or the last one, is more galleryish versus warm and simple—galleryish, good, huh? I’ll be back to view this blog; nice work .

jana souza┬┤s last blog post..ÔÇťI love Jesus, butÔÇŽÔÇŁ

Todd Smith February 27, 2009 at 3:29 pm

Jana – Thanks for your comments. This is exactly why I put these frames up for discussion. I’m new to framing and input like yours makes a huge difference. Let me know if this is what you were thinking about…

The first version shows a white single mat, with the only change being a black core.

The second version shows a black undermat. Is this what you were thinking?

jana souza February 27, 2009 at 4:37 pm

First version, and maybe even with a taupy mat instead of blk; would have to see if the taupe works, maybe single color (one of the two I mentioned) and just a bit bigger visibility of it, but clean. (forget mat terminologiy.

jana souza┬┤s last blog post..Pretty beyond words

Todd Smith February 27, 2009 at 4:46 pm

Well, I can’t do a toupe core on the single mat, but I can put a toupe undermat, like this. What do you think?

jana souza February 27, 2009 at 4:52 pm

Todd, can you make the undermat (taupe) show more and the blk a bit less priminent? Let me know and have a great rest of your friday ­čÖé

jana souza┬┤s last blog post..Pretty beyond words

Todd Smith February 27, 2009 at 5:05 pm

I’m not sure if this is what you mean… I can go thicker with the taupe, let me know.

jana souza February 27, 2009 at 5:59 pm

maybe not that thick but close; you can do the undermat (taupe) and other main mat (blk) a similar thickness?

Are you sick of me yet ?

jana souza┬┤s last blog post..Pretty beyond words

toni March 13, 2009 at 1:45 pm

Even if you scotch taped this print to a paper bag it would be amazing.

A business sink comes alive under your watchful eye. That, my friend is a gift.
Always a pleasure to see your work.

toni

toni┬┤s last blog post..Bruce Lee Mythology

Todd Smith March 13, 2009 at 11:57 pm

Toni – Thanks for your support. I fell in love with that sink when I saw it too.

Jana – Long time replying to your comment… I mentioned it to you on Twitter, but the black border you’re seeing here is a black core of a single mat. Unfortunately, I can’t do a black mat with a black core. Wish I had access to a mat like that. Here’s an option, though. A double white mat where both have a black core. What do you think?

081202-0464-f10a.jpg

I’m not sure I like the little bit of white that shows up between the two black cores. Could be ok… I’ll have to come back and look after a day or so.

Todd Smith┬┤s last blog post..Photos from Seattle and the Columbia River in a Snowstorm

mother earth aka karen hanrahan March 15, 2009 at 2:26 pm

you know me…. i prefer very wide all black matt, this particular frame is lovely

mother earth aka karen hanrahan┬┤s last blog post..Boiled Dinner – Corn Beef

Todd Smith March 15, 2009 at 4:21 pm

Thanks, Karen. Thanks for reminding me. Here’s a version with a black mat.

081202-0464-f11a.jpg

I’m not sure this one is an improvement. Maybe with a different frame…

mother earth aka karen hanrahan March 16, 2009 at 7:21 pm

I’m not sure either!! Can you lose the white edge? Thick textured pewter frame ?

mother earth aka karen hanrahan┬┤s last blog post..Products That Are Green – Tea

Todd Smith March 16, 2009 at 7:46 pm

That’s the problem. I can’t get rid of the white edge on the black mat. It’s funny they make a white mat with a black edge, and a white mat with a white edge, but not black mat with a black edge. We could try for a thick black frame with no mat.

How about this…

081202-0464-f12a.jpg

or this…

081202-0464-f13a.jpg

mother earth aka karen hanrahan March 20, 2009 at 2:52 pm

OOOH the top one!! It totally works w/ that something ( detail of the frame )
try a wider mat please

mother earth aka karen hanrahan┬┤s last blog post..Spring Schming

Todd Smith March 23, 2009 at 12:33 am

Hmm… That top one has no mat actually. I could put a black mat there, but then you’d have a white border (inner core of black mats are white). See what I mean…

081202-0464-f14a.jpg

Todd Smith┬┤s last blog post..Commercial Photography For My Sister

mother earth aka karen hanrahan March 29, 2009 at 10:10 pm

no you’re right – the mat and the white totally detracts, gosh I’d personally stick with that frame only then

mother earth aka karen hanrahan┬┤s last blog post..Green Moms Carnival :: The Plastic Project

Todd Smith April 5, 2009 at 5:50 pm

I agree… thanks for input, as always! ­čÖé

Todd Smith┬┤s last blog post..Commercial Photography For My Sister